Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Talked to the Pediatrician

I just got off the phone with Dr. Hagen. It was a pretty quick conversation, but he got out Miranda's chart and went over her last visit with me. He said that the foster mother didn't have any concerns and told me what immunizations they gave to Miranda. He said lots of positive comments including:
  • "looks very well"
  • "doing great"
  • "physically and neurologically normal"

I asked him specifically about Miranda's eyes. He told me that the foster mom mentioned I was concerned about a possible lazy eye and he told me he checked her eyes and they "look fine" and are "OK."

He also told me the foster mom had told him I was concerned about Miranda's head shape---which is true..she has a pretty flat back of the head!! He said her head is just a slight variation of normal (and even used to correct medical term-plagiocephaly) and was nothing to worry about. Those of you who have known us for at least 7 years probably remember that our oldest son, Mitchell, had to wear a corrective helmet because he had EXTREME plagiocephaly. So, as you can imagine, I am a bit hyper-vigilant about head shape!

I have heard good reports about this doctor from other families and hope to meet him when we are picking up Miranda. He is one of the doctors who the U.S. embassy contracts with to do "exit" medical appointments on children who are being adopted. I hope to go to that final appointment with Miranda in Guatemala.

No word yet from PGN. I asked our coordinator if she had heard anything and she said "No." The good thing, though, is that we haven't heard about a KO (kickout) either! So, I'm praying that our file will have God's protection as it goes through different reviewers at PGN and will be on the director's desk soon. The director of PGN, Sr. Barrios, gives the final sign-off on the cases. Last night I was talking with Matt again about the whole PGN process and he said, "So, we need to pray for Barrios, right?" I thought it was a good approach to take...Let's all pray for Sr. Barrios!

2 comments:

Dula said...

I love reading updates about Miranda and the other MHerndon family members.
You are all in my prayers...
Sr. Barrios as well.
Love, Mom/Gramma Donna

Alex and Sam said...

michelle..
so glad to hear that you rec'd positive news from the doctor.. i'll be praying for Mr. Barrios too..

alex